Another Trump administration official caused discontent at a graduation commencement ceremony.
Pence was the university’s second choice for commencement speaker, after students and faculty protested the school’s invitation to President Donald Trump.
The vice president triggered the ire of many in the audience when he praised Trump’s religious tolerance speech, which the president delivered earlier that day in Saudi Arabia. Trump’s speech seemed hypocritical because of comments he made about Muslims and Mexicans during his campaign.
Indeed, the valedictorian urged his class to “stand against the scapegoating of Muslims” and criticized Trump’s plan to build a wall at the Mexican border, the Associated Press reported.
Two weeks earlier, Bethune-Cookman University graduates turned their backs on Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos as she delivered the commencement address.
In Honor Of President's Day, Here Are Photos That Will Make You Miss Barack Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Notre Dame Students Walk Out On Vice President Pence At Graduation Ceremony was originally published on newsone.com