On Monday morning, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced the nominations for the 74th annual Golden Globes Awards.
Actors Don Cheadle, Anna Kendrick and Laura Dern were on hand to read the list of talent nominated in their respective categories.
For the second year in a row since the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, Black actors were recognized for their accomplishments in almost every category. In the category of television, nominees include some of the actors and actresses from the Black breakout TV shows of the season, like Issa Rae‘s Insecure and Donald Glover‘s Atlanta. Tracee Ellis Ross and Anthony Anderson both snagged a nod for their roles in ABC’s sitcom black-ish.
On the film side, the powerful drama Moonlight, an early darling of award ceremonies and possible Oscar contender, was nominated in the category of Best Motion Picture and Best Score. Director Barry Jenkins was among the list of nominees in the Best Director and Best Screenplay category. Actors Mahershala Ali and Naomie Harris were also nominated in the category for Best Supporting Actor and Actress for their respective roles in the film.
Denzel Washington and Viola Davis both received nods for their work in August Wilson’s Fences, scheduled to be released on Christmas Day. Octavia Spencer was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in her role as NASA scientist Dorothy Vaughan in Hidden Figures.
Courtney B. Vance and Sterling K. Brown both snagged nominations for their roles as lawyers Johnnie Cochran and Christopher Darden respectively in FX’s limited drama, American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson.
The Tonight Show‘s Jimmy Fallon will host the ceremony, which airs January 8 on NBC.
A full list of the nominees are below. Let us know your favorite picks in the comments!
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Casey Affleck – “Manchester by the Sea”
Viola Davis, Denzel Washington, Issa Rae & More Land Golden Globe Nominations
1. Best Motion Picture – Drama1 of 11
2. Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama2 of 11
3. Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama3 of 11
4. Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture4 of 11
5. 14815573048814Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture5 of 11
6. Best Director – Motion Picture:6 of 11
7. Best Original Screenplay7 of 11
8. Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy8 of 11
9. Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy9 of 11
10. Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy10 of 11
11. Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television11 of 11
74th Annual Golden Globe Awards: Issa Rae, Donald Glover & ‘Moonlight’ Rack Up Nominations was originally published on newsone.com