In an effort to end a decades-long frozen relationship between the U.S. and Cuba, President Barack Obama made history when he became the first president in nearly 90 years to visit the island siloed from the rest of the world since the Cold War conflict.
Obama — who touched down in a rainy Havana with First Lady Michelle Obama, her mother, Marian Robinson, and their daughters, Sasha and Malia Obama on Sunday — took to Twitter to announce his arrival before the family was swept away for tours of the city’s mostly unchanged and historic district.
In a meeting with U.S. Embassy staff in Havana, the president remarked that his visit as a sitting U.S. president would be a normal sight for the country in the years to come.
“For the first time, the American flag flies over an embassy, and having the embassy here means we can more effectively advance our interests and values and understand the Cuban people and their concerns,” Obama said.
“We hope they think it’s natural that a U.S. president would visit Cuba and the two peoples are working together,” he added.
The trip, applauded by many and a welcome sight for Cubans who cheered “USA!” at Obama’s arrival, was condemned by members of the GOP, who have long criticized the president’s efforts to open the lines of communication between the island and the U.S.
Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump pointed out Raul Castro’s absence at the airport for Obama’s arrival, suggesting that the Cuban president had no respect for Obama.
Sen. Ted Cruz, another of the party’s presidential hopefuls and the son of a Cuban immigrant, also commented on Obama’s trip, calling it a “sad day in American history.”
“For decades, leftists and Hollywood liberals have made the pilgrimage to Cuba to pay homage to Fidel Castro and Raul Castro,” Cruz said in response to a question in Peoria, Arizona, where he was campaigning at Fresh Start Church.
“It’s very chic, it’s very chichi for leftists to celebrate vicious communist dictators,” Cruz said. “I cannot wait as president to visit Cuba, but when I visit Cuba, it will be a free Cuba.”
SOURCE: NBC | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
The Word: President Obama Makes Historic Trip To Cuba To Strengthen Relations was originally published on newsone.com