UPDATED: Monday, December 28, 2015 3:30 PM EST
Shortly after a press conference to announce a grand jury’s failure to return indictments for officers involved in the death of Tamir Rice, an attorney for the 12-year-old’s family released a statement condemning the decision, the Washington Post reports.
“It has been clear for months now that Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty was abusing and manipulating the grand jury process to orchestrate a vote against indictment,” the Rice family attorneys said. “Even though video shows the police shooting Tamir in less than one second, Prosecutor McGinty hired so-called expert witnesses to try to exonerate the officers and tell the grand jury their conduct was reasonable and justified. It is unheard of, and highly improper, for a prosecutor to hire “experts” to try to exonerate the targets of a grand jury investigation.”
An Ohio Grand Jury has declined to file charges against a police officer in the death of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy who was fatally shot last year, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty announced Monday, reports The New York Times.
McGinty called the case against Timothy Loehmann “a perfect storm of human error” but said no crime was committed, writes the news outlet.
From The Times:
The decision by grand jurors was the end of a lengthy investigation that was criticized by Tamir’s family and by activists, who called the shooting senseless and said the officer should have been charged with murder months ago.
Tamir, who was black, was carrying a replica gun outside a recreation center when someone called 911. The caller cautioned that Tamir was probably a juvenile and that the weapon was “probably fake,” but that information was not relayed to the two officers who responded, Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback.
Mr. McGinty said it was “indisputable” that Tamir was drawing the weapon from his waistband when he was shot — either to hand it over to police or to show them that it was not a real firearm. But Mr. McGinty said there was no way for the officers to know that as they pulled up.
The child’s family has questioned Loehmann’s account of the shooting, and has sued the city and both officers in federal court, notes the report.
SOURCE: The New York Times | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Disturbing News: Cleveland Cop Will Not Face Charges In Tamir Rice Shooting was originally published on newsone.com